Monday, November 14, 2011

The only thing the gingerbread man and I have in common is molasses

Remember a while back when I said I was going to start training for a marathon? And remember how I said I was going to start a new blog about my training efforts? Well, wouldn't you know, I am bad enough as is with this humble blog, I thought it would be best to just track my training efforts right along with our other adventures. Anyway, moving on...

I have been running now for two weeks. And by running I mean walking and running and then walking some more. I am OK with how slow of a start it seems to be for me. I keep reminding myself of all that my body has been through in the past couple of years to try and not become discouraged. But I gotta tell you folks, sometimes it is darn right pitiful.

I used to be able to pop out of bed, lace up the sneaks and hit the pavement no matter what I had to eat the day before or how little sleep I was allowing myself. I used to be able to head to Lake Johnson, my favorite running path in Raleigh, NC, and run the BIG loop. I would stay there all day long, not paying attention to miles or the time, stoping in the middle of the woods to think, meditate. I used to used to used to be a RUNNER.

Having these 'used to' thoughts running through my head made me feel like I was running through molasses.

The beat goes on, folks.

Here is the ugly, honest truth. It is taking me a long time to feel comfortable in my sneaks again. I feel awkward and uncoordinated. I am having a hard time finding the time to head out the door (those darn children and their 'needs') so going out for a quick jaunt feels more like a chore. And I am sore. My phrenic nerve ( which is the nerve that controls your diaphragm and therefore helps you breath) was damaged during my surgery. This means that my right lung is smaller than my left, with less capacity. It also rubs on my diaphragm, which is painful when I am breathing hard. It also just freaks me out to feel any pain in my chest. Pain is an ugly little mind game, isn't it?

But the beauty of it? I have an amazing support system. A wonderful friend (who is also a wonderful photographer, go look and be in awe) offered to write me a training schedule. She is a runner. A mother. A beautiful soul. And then there is my wonderful sister, Jessica, who just finished her second marathon. She is also a runner. A mother. A beautiful soul. And of course there is Jeff, who ever so cooly will say 'I've got the kids, why don't you head out the door?' when I am about to just sit down at the computer and waste some time on pinterest.

So I may not be run run running as fast as I can, but I will get there. In the mean time, I am just taking it one beat at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment