Thursday, November 3, 2011

Autumn Pasta, PERFECTED

OK folks. I have done it. I have created the tastiest, semi healthy pasta dish. I did not even have a chance to take a picture, it was THAT GOOD. Plus, my phood photog (see what I did there?) skills are no good, it would not have done the dish justice.

You should make it. Tonight.

Autumn Pasta

What`s in it:

1/2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch spears
2 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 egg yolks
2 Tbs milk
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 lb pasta

How to make the magic:

Toss the veggies in the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes. 

Cook your pasta, timing it to be done about the same time as the veggies. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, milk and parm in a bowl large enough to hold the pasta and veggies (your serving bowl). Press the garlic into the egg mixture. Before you drain the pasta, ladle a spoonful of the hot pasta water into the egg mixture. Be sure you whisk as you pour to keep the egg from clumping as it cooks. 

Congratulations! You just made carbonara sauce!

Dump the pasta and the roasted veggies in with the sauce, mix it up. 

Ya`ll, it is some serious good eats. And the squash looses its integrity a little when you mix it all up, but that`s ok, it only adds to the creaminess. And gives the pasta a sweet orange color.

And I`d like to think that I invented this dish. I looked online for similar recipes but could not find one. So just let me live in my own little world where Bobby Flay stumbles upon my humble blog, reads the above and says to himself `Who is this lady and how soon can we start filming?!`

In other news, I also made the best pumpkin muffins I have ever had. However, I did not invent this recipe. I did search high and low for a recipe that used melted butter instead of vegetable oil. I am not a fan of baking with oil, it tends to make things chewy. And I did not add the candied ginger or the nuts to my muffins. I am a purest.

Since I had half a can of pumpkin puree left over from my muffins I made a pumpkin spice latte syrup. While there are Starbucks here in Japan they do not have the beloved PSL. This syrup is fantastic for those addicts out there who want to save a few pennies (or yennies, if you will).

Autumn sure does smell and taste good, don`t you agree? What are your favorite fall treats?




2 comments:

  1. Bryna, I don't know you well, but I ADORE your blog! I went to school with Jessica & I'm facebook friends w/ Emily (that must be how I stumbled onto your blog?!). You are a great writer and I love your honesty. Nice to "meet" you. ;-)

    Anyway, we have a similar recipe that we call "yellow spaghetti." Ours doesn't have the roasted veggies, but I have both asparagus & butternut squash in my house right this moment. Can't wait to try this version out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you are too kind Jen! Nice to meet you as well!

    ReplyDelete