Saturday, June 25, 2011

Little things

There is a trick to being a stay at home mom. It's not an easy job. I could go on and on about that simple fact, but instead, I am going to show you my current happy place. 


This sitting area is at the top of the stairs, with an open loft just to the left of the picture that looks down into our living room where there are floor to ceiling windows that look out to the front of the property. There used to be a huge sycamore tree, but the tornado took care of that. 

Every time I walk up the stairs I fall more and more in love with this little corner of our house. I love the paint color (wasabi, picked out by me, lovingly painted by Jeff). I love the comfy chair (Restoration Hardware, purchased second hand from a friend of a friend). Behind the sliding door (a flea market find, lovingly restored by Jeff) there is a sleeping child. 

In the morning I make a point to rise at least 30 minutes before Noah. I make a press of coffee, pour some in my favorite mug, and head up the stairs to my comfy corner. I can look out the windows from there and watch the birds who have built a nest on the roof come and go. Even though the sycamore tree is gone there are still some well established pecan trees, whose leaves look fantastic against a blue sky. 

I love sitting in that chair, drinking my coffee. The things that make it special to me (the colors, the lingering smell of polyurethane from the door, the soft leather) are so simple. But they recharge me, and prepare me for the day ahead, staying home with my boy. I NEED moments like this to be a successful mother. They do not have to be extravagant, but they have to happen daily, or I start to lose myself in motherhood and life. 

Oh, the little things in life... I am so grateful that I have learned to slow down enough to enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment